Saturday, September 12, 2009

Homemade Laundry Soap....

I found this recipe for Homemade Laundry Soap (off my cousin's blog, thanks Ben & Kelli.....well Kelli--I know Ben had nothing to do with this... ha!). This will go MUCH further than the laundry soap you are used to buying. Makes anywhere from 200-400 loads.....that's a lot of laundry!! AND, it is SO much cheaper. Yeah, so you have to take a tiny bit of time to make it, but it will be so worth it and last you much longer. So, give it a try. And if you don't like it, remember I found it off my cousin BEN's blog. haha! JK. Enjoy!


You will need:

1 Bar of Fels Naptha
1 Cup of Arm and Hammer Laundry Soda
1/2 Cup of Borax

All of these can be found in the laundry aisle; however, Walmart doesn't carry the Fels Naptha or Laundry Soda. I purchased mine instead at Macey's grocery store. They should total altogether about $7.

Instructions:

Grate the Fels Naptha and add to a saucepan with 4 cups of hot water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until the soap dissolves and melts. Fill a 5-gallon bucket half full of very hot tap water. Add the melted soap/water mixture, the laundry soda and the Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill the bucket to the top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken. It will look like Egg Drop Soup when it's ready- don't worry, this is normal!!

Stir before using. Use 1/2 cup for top loading machines, or 1/4 cup for front loading. One bucket makes about 200-400 loads, depending on the washing machine.The price on this bad boy equals about $2 per 5 gallons.

3 comments:

Kevin and Jamie said...

Wow I am going to have to try this, laundry detergent is way expensive! What a thrifty mom you are!

Danelle and Alex said...

I just read your car story and that would be soooo tramatic! Especially where its so hot! I would totally be freaking out!!! I am glad she is ok though.

Katie said...

Em,

I am totally going to try this. Does it smell good?